Friday, February 19, 2016

Starting Out With An LMS

It has been a great year using Schoology in my classroom. When I first started using Schoology it was a place for students to do worksheets or a laundry list of assignments to complete. I have come to the conclusion that there will be lists. There will be procedure I need the students to do. There will be specific activities and assessments I need them to do within the curriculum. I will be given district assigned activities and assessments I will need them to complete. Within that framework I can work on differentiating assignments. I can also provide them opportunities to complete the assignments as they need to and not on a specific day or at a specific time. This is what I am excited about.
I started with Spelling. I differentiated the lists for students. As I grade tests I set up individual sets of words for each student. The first set of lists I set up I have 18 different lists for 26 students. management was fun the first few times, but as students found their spelling videos, they watched and completed the assignments. Each student had their individual set of word patterns to learn. It is fantastic.
I have moved to building choices into units for students to complete on their own. The first unit was in science. I created 5 activities that would each student would complete at different times. My class still talks about it. We are starting our next big activity doing something similar to the last one. There will be activities for students to complete, but they will complete them at different times depending on where they are on a map. I love simulations. As I move through the year I see more and more opportunity for students to learn using the LMS.

No comments:

Post a Comment